Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I'm HERE!!!

I'm finally here safe and sound!!  I still can't believe it.  The flight here was about 10 hours, it wasn't so bad really, they had movies and they gave us dinner (which was a beef casserole thing, a little salad, a roll and a cake dessert) and we had our little pillows and blankets.  I really got no sleep whatsoever on the plane, but whatever.  Haha I'm here now and can sleep my life away... actually no I can't because we have stuff scheduled starting in like an hour, but that is a good thing so it is ok.  Well after I got off the plane I had to catch the Gatwick Express, that is a train out of the airport that goes to the big central Victoria Station.  Once I was at the Victoria I had to buy a tube (underground train) pass and figure out which line to take to get to my apartment.  It took me forever to figure it out, and in the interim I had my pass, which was like 35 pounds stolen right out of my pocket!!  I am definitely a country mouse in the city, but that will change.  So, I finally figured out which line to take and got on, and while on the tube this little band of celtic music players got on and said, "We are going to play some music for you, feel free to dance a jig if you wish, just try not to get too excitable."  And they started playing! In the middle of the train, it was awesome! People mostly ignored them, but I was delighted.  The fiddle player was especially good and it was top notch.  So I got off the tube at High Kensington Street and then walked about 6 blocks to my apartment.  Not too bad, but a big awkward with my luggage.  Everything is so green here! I haven't seen a fence or a wall without something growing on it, around it, or in it.  There is foliage everywhere, it is so very lush that it made me very happy to look out the window on the train ride. And the temperature is lovely and warm.  Also the houses here are much older than you would think, and they all have these ancient brick and clay chimneys.  Riding here I couldn't believe how many chimneys I saw! Well I'm extremely tired, and we are supposed to go on a walk soon so I'm going to go.  But I am here, and my adventures are just beginning, so fasten your seat belts folks this is going to be one wild ride.

6 comments:

  1. There you go! love ya katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! And your adventures have begun! Love that you're blogging it all. Keep it comin'!We love reading every word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Kates, you made it! We will get more specific details from you later so we can get to your place. We always used money belts when traveling abroad. We put anything of importance or value there, and we never had a robbery. Remember when a guy on the metro in Paris tried to pick grandpa's pocket? He grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly until the stop where we got off. The expression on the man's face was very amusing. Enjoy your adventure, sweetie. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, I'm so glad it worked out for you. I went to Europe when I was 18 and it was the best thing ever. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tahsha!! It is sure exciting! I'm just trying to take it all in and remember every little thing! :)

    ReplyDelete