Thursday, May 5, 2011

Theater Everywhere!

I have seen three plays in the last 24 hours! Whew! Yesterday I had class in the morning, and after I felt rather under the weather so I came home and took a nap. Then the most wonderful thing happened to me, I went to go see Les Miserables for the first time in my life. IT WAS AMAZING! I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.  It is no wonder that it has been running for so long.  All of the actors and singers were top quality,  Jean Valjean had one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard from a human being.  When he sang Let Him Live tears streamed down my face and I didn't even care that the grumpy old man sitting next to me could plainly see it.  Eponine was also amazing and the songs were so powerful that I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before.  After the play I went home and wrote my review of All's Well That Ends Well and then went to bed.  This morning I was still feeling a bit yucky so I slept in.  When I did get up I submitted my papers online to my professors, and then my roommate Amy and I went to go buy our tickets for a show called Clyborne Park that we wanted to see a matinée of, they sell a certain number of ten pound tickets but when they are gone they're gone, so it is first come first serve.  But by the time we got there all the ten pound tickets were gone, so I had to buy a 20 pound one.  After we bought our tickets we went back to our flat and I took a shower and ate something and then we actually went to the performance.  It was a very interesting play, all about racial issues and family drama and political change, but the thing was it was all done HILARIOUSLY.  It was very funny.  And I was very impressed by the accents.  The actors were all British but they did American accents very well, I couldn't find anything the matter with them!  After Clyborne Park Amy and I went to the grocery store and got some things and then we went home.  After putting away the groceries and eating something again it was time to go to the next play, one that was for our theater class called Little Eagles.  I don't really want to talk about that play, I didn't really like it, and some parts of it offended me.  But one thing I will say, the set was beautiful.  The aesthetics of it were very clever and artistic.  And now here I am, back home in my flat and exhausted but it has been a very happy sort of busy I've been.  Oh and one thing you all might like to know is that my toilet flushes by pushing a button.  A button! It is strange.  

4 comments:

  1. That's so great that you got so much out of Les Mis. Isn't it wonderful? I saw it when I lived there too! (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! You really made it to London! I am so happy for you! And it really sounds like you are having a great time! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I saw Les Miz was when Autumn played Eponine. The young people did surprisingly well! One of my favorite songs is "Bring Him Home," also. I usually cry. Have you seen any demonstrations in the streets over Osama's death? I saw pictures on the internet. LOve you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments everyone. I love to see people are reading this!

    ReplyDelete